Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Module 3 Blog - Vickie Chedgy

·         How will you address advocacy issues with professionals in your setting?
     I have been addressing my advocacy issue of Parent Involvement, and how to communicate to the parents how and why it is needed.  I have been working with the professionals at the Learning Tree Daycare Center in Island Lake IL by going on a consistent basis, leaving them with information to think about for the next time I visit.  I average visiting around two times a week.  As I leave my own home daycare to visit, I get a lot of insight about my own daycare and what I would like to incorporate.  A big issue is the topic , I learned in my own daycare that I need to incorporate parent involvement.
·          How might you find out more about or possibly become in involved with current advocacy programs in your setting?
     I am and will get more involved with the 4-C agency (Community Coordinated Child Care) of McHenry County.  This is an advocacy agency whose mission is to promote children's well-being by advocating for quality affordable child care (four-c.org).  This agency helps families find quality providers and help with child care assistance.  They help the provider with tools and resources such as provider networking, information on becoming, as well as staying, a provider with trainings, and resources for funding such as grants to upgrade their center or home daycare.
·         What kind of difference would you like to make in your setting, your community, or your field?
     I visited the Learning Tree Daycare Center today for their annual Valentine's Breakfast that they provide for the parents that promotes the parent to stay with their child for breakfast between the hours of 7:30-9:00.  I got there around 8:30 and saw one of the children's  grandfather was there laughing with the children and eating with his grandson whom I had seen before on a previous observation.  I asked one of).  I looked at the centers license and noticed they are licensed for 90 children.  The director had once shared with me they are about 3/4 full which would ballpark enrollment to be around 67 children.  I asked the teacher who was overseeing it, beside the grandfather I saw, how many parents showed up for their breakfast? She stated one.  My mouth dropped.  I feel I would make a difference with utilizing resources I will spell out in my paper for this class as well as getting the center on board with these resources.  That is too sad for two people to be able to stay when I viewed at least 3 dozen children there that I could see in the building.  I would like to show the parents how effective communication will work with the teachers while having effective involvement in their children's classroom that will reflect on their education.
Community Coordinated Child Care. 2007. www.four-c.org.

7 comments:

  1. That is really sad that only two parents stayed for a special event. We can almost always count on those days to draw parents in. We have our "normal" classroom holiday parties and we also have a Thanksgiving Feast for all of our familes (preschool, head start, and kindergarten). We provide the meat (which is usually donated) and ask families to provide a side dish. The turn out for this event is amazing! We had about 400 people this year alone. This is an event that requires a lot of planning and work on our part but is definitely something we would never give up.
    Parent involvement is always hard to figure out and I am sure with a home daycare it is probably even harder. I think many parents feel that they don't need to be involved because you are "just watching" their child. Finding new and creative ways to get parents involved is always a challenge. We did start a new program with Raising a Reader where they come once a month for three months and present strategies to parents on how to help their child prepare to be a successful reader. We have had two sessions and have had about 35 families at each session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. With school and trying to get my daycare assessed for the QRS (Quality Rating System), I have a hard time fitting in time to plan a task that big, but it certainly gives me some ideas.
      How many approximately are in your center?

      Delete
  2. I think parent involvement is the key to success that children will have any daycare program. As a teacher, I know how disheartening it can be to have your effort at family involvement in the classroom not to work out. Sometimes it feels as though the parents would rather you just raise their children and let them reap the benefit. I think that sometimes parents do not understand how crucial their role is in their child’s success in school and in life. One thing that we do at the center that I work out is periodically offer parents and children opportunities to do things together through the center. For instance the center is sponsoring a hockey night at the local hockey team arena. It’s something that the kids and parents have gotten very excited about.
    How does the parent involvement differ from your internship site from your home daycare?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen:
    It differs I think because I have a "homier" atmosphere than a center. I guess I would have to be. When parents walk in my door, they see me and I am speaking to them always one on one. Also when they pick up their child. In the center I am observing, the parents put in a code, walk past the director, some without a hello, drop their kids off in the classroom, take their child's coat off, wave to the teacher and leave. I have had parents here at my home stay on for a half an hour or so. I am thinking about having a breakfast, similar to that of the center and see the outcome. I did a Bunco night last fall and 4 of my 23 parents came (the moms). I am having another on March 17th, I will keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staff members need to understand the importance of Parent Involvement. When I was teaching, I always had 100% parent involvement. I made sure my parents received personal invites and reminders as well as memos. I also create creative ways to get their attention. I would place sticker notes on their child's back, parents always say these notes. When I left the classroom to become director family participation dropped considerable. Why? The new teachers did not invest in the time to ask parents.

    It is also important to survey your parents on what type of special events they would like see incorporated as well as training. If you want them to come you need to know their interest. Also invite your local leaders and state reps to your functions this gives you the opportunity to discuss and show them the importance of family involvement.

    Karan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karan:
      Thank you for your ideas and suggestions. I guess one thing we all need is the time to do these things, such as personal invites or reminders so that we can reap the rewards of having parental involvement both for us and for our students. I didn't think of doing the survey idea as that way they could tell me what they could be available for as well as what would they like me to bring to the table. Thank you for that and good luck to you on your project.

      Delete
  5. Parental involvement is so important to a child's overall academic achievement.

    ReplyDelete